Monday, October 15, 2007

NORMAL LIFE: Who, How, Why?

It’s amazing how, suddenly, Finland seems to be plagued with beggars on the street. In a country known to have one of the best – and generous - social security systems in Europe, it’s hardly surprising that the poor (or those just too lazy to work) want a piece of the social pie.

But what they obvious haven’t bargained for is how tight-fisted the Finnish authorities are. The situation is exacerbated by the fact that the police are powerless to remove them since the law does not regard begging to be a public nuisance worthy of police time. I bet they feel stupid now, whoever they are, thinking they could take the Finnish authorities for a ride. Who are they? Where did they come from? Why did they choose Finland?

I have been told they are from Eastern European countries, which since 2004, have enjoyed free access to the rest of the European Union. Their presence is a nuisance, however, because while I am waiting for the tram to take me home after my Finnish lesson, ‘somebody’ is nearby, on their knees, rocking gently back and forth with their eyes closed. As hard as this might sound, sometimes I just want to bitch-slap them.

I mean, five years ago, seeing a beggar in Finland was unheard of, except for that Finnish women who walked around earnestly thrusting a hand into people’s faces. At least she was asking for money instead of rocking backwards and forwards, refusing to even make eye contact with the potential persons who would grant her a hot drink or even a meal.

Wouldn’t it have been cheaper to stay at home? This might sound like a heartless, if not stupid question, but the question is how did they get here? No such transport is free and could cost upwards of a couple of hundred Euros. Slowly, but surely, I fear that Finland is going to lose the very thing I most value it for – it’s homogeneity, it’s simply mix of citizens.

What will happen now? I probably get called a racist because I don’t like foreign beggars on the street. And who does?! Related article here.