Thursday, October 11, 2007

NORMAL LIFE: Personal Tax Victory

Thanks to Bree, I wake up today still smiling. Today, however, it's for a different reason. I wrote a long way back about my hatred of tax, and the willingness of the Finnish authorities to charge god knows what from foreigners.

Yesterday, and after a year and a half of deliberation by the authorities, I receive a letter from the Tax Office claiming that they still don't accept my deduction for the costs relating to my Masters Degree course. They will, however, return the social security I had paid to the UK while I was actually under the Finnish social security system.

In all, €960 will be paid back to me, which is lovely, isn't it?! Since I am flying to the UK this afternoon, I will have to buy something nice for Bree by way of reward. Without his expert translations, the authorities would be sitting on this, but the fight isn't over; there is now a battle to get ~€6,000 deduction accepted for my Masters Degree. Now THAT would be lovely!