Friday, March 31, 2006

NORMAL LIFE: Decisions, decisions!

I got an email this morning from the Company. They still haven't decided who of the four finalists will get the job. How can it be so difficult to choose one from four candidates?

I'm disappointed to say the least that it's taken them this long to decide. It's like being held to ransom, like it's some kind of game. You know what? It ain't funny - I have hardly slept this week so my eyes look tired as shit. I have bitten my nails in anticipation and my fingers now hurt like hell. It's kind of like demotivating the employee before he's even started and that's something any good manager should try his damned best to avoid these days.

If someone tells you they are going to make an important life-changing decision on the Monday, you expect to hear from them the Tuesday morning at the latest. I think that's reasonable. What you don't expect is an email on the Friday morning, stating that they have yet to get together to make their decision. Those jokes about 'how many Irish men does it take to...' spring to mind!

Oh, well, it's Friday again and it looks like I will have all of next week off work too so I must be more productive than I have been this week. I have 8,000 words to write on my Master's Thesis by the end of April and tomorrow is the 1st! Aaagghhhh!