Sunday, March 26, 2006

NORMAL LIFE: Mother's, Ain't They Fantastic?

Today is Mother's Day in the UK and, I think, in parts of the Commonwealth. In Finland, however, it's not until June, but I think March is a much more apt time of year at is signifies the coming of Spring which is when more animals start to have their young.

Living in a foreign country, I feel that it's important to acknowledge my Mother on this one day of the year that is devoted to her and the other millions of them throughout the world. They are truly marvellous. Well, most of them anyway. I can't imagine what plagues those mother's who mistreat their kids. Fortunately, I wasn't one of them at the mercy of an evil Mother.

Instead, my Mother and I have a very special bond, one that saw her fighting to get her deaf son a decent education, caring for him during his many trips in hospital, showering him with love and attention during the years of bullying, consoling him when the acne got ready bad and, at the age of 26, confronting the fact that her precious son was gay.

After the many trials and tribulations that have been thrown at my parents (and my mother especially as it is true that a woman's work is never done) since the birth of the first 32 years ago, if anything the family is stronger and more united than ever and it certainly isn't because of my Dad. My Mother once told me that 'a woman has her kids plus one' and that one is the husband or boyfriend!

During a recent telephone call, I remember telling my Mum that I often thought of her more as a friend than as a mother. All those years of love, attention and caring have resulted in a solid 'friendship', one that neither of us can 'resign' from. Of course, one or the other can abandon one or the other, but it should have happened by now after all the crap she has had to contend with. I believe that our bond was a pre-designed one. After all, my Mum miscarried five boys before I arrived on the scene and, on my arrival, she literally ceased production so I guess I must be high maintenance!

But a mother's work is NEVER done. The next generation, namely her grand-daughter, now enjoys the same love. She's just lucky. One day, I hope she appreciates my mother just as much as I do. Ain't they just fantastic?