Saturday, April 05, 2008

NORMAL LIFE: All Coming Together...?

The day I depart for Australia draws nearer, I feel. Last week, I somehow admitted defeat on the recruiment front after countless Dear John letters from various employment agencies in Australia advising me to wait until I arrive before applying for work. A risky tactic, but an understanding one since it's so much easier for employers to get a feel for employees - and vice versa - in person.

While I have Kylie seductively singing lyrics from Wow into my ear (the F*** Me I'm Famous Remix By David Guetta & Joachim Garraud remix), it's assuring to know that she's not the only Australian - or as good as - helping me to get through my day.

Tools, a Finnish gal living and working in Sydney, has been spurring me on claiming 'you won't look back at Europe once you reach Sydney'. Meanwhile, Vlad, an Irish friend of mine who I met while he was living in London constantly bellows how bloody fantastic Sydney is. And then there's Bruce who, being Australian, is just biased towards anything Australian.

While Brits moan about their unique little island (in European terms) with Finns doing the same, you rarely hear Australians berating their supposedly superior world. It's understandable, therefore, that I want a piece of that pie.

Back to the subject of employment, however. When I got home last night, I had an hour or so until Bree would be home so I started going through my old winter clothes. At will, I stuffed most of the undesirable items into three large plastic bags, my burden somewhat reduced later on when the time would come for me to leave. I then did the same with my paperwork, the end result being a one-foot-high pile of Finnish language notes, old tax documents and other unwanted papers.

By the time I had done all this, Bree still hadn't come home so I decided to check out my email and, lo and behold, there was a request to attend a telephone interview at 11pm that very evening! 11pm on a Friday night? No worries, but strange: they must be keen, I thought to myself. You see, about a month ago, I had confided in the Director of Global Marketing of one of the firm's suppliers of my future plans. True to his word, he had spoken to his colleagues in Australia and so, at 11pm, on the line were myself, the Director of Marketing (based in the US) and one of the marketing guys from Sydney.

Over the course of an hour, we discussed my background, my employment history, my working life in Finland and my aspirations regarding Australia. I was put on the spot on several occasions, but my answers flowed in a credible manner and when I was asked how soon I could start (in the event of a job offer), I had no choice but to suggest 'four to six weeks....' They were impressed and said they would get back to me within a week. I think we need to watch this space....

The ironic thing is, given the pile of Dear John emails I had been receiving, I had in effect discontinued the job search until closer to my time to departure. These things happen and, often, these things are meant to be!