Friday, September 07, 2007

NORMAL LIFE: Half Of My Wisdom

Bloody, bollocky, buggery, bejasus, bastard dentists! Actually, it wasn't all that bad. I had two of my wisdom teeth removed yesterday; they has impacted e.g. growing on their side and pushing towards the rest of my teeth, especially on the lower set.

It was quite a pleasant experience really, although it reminded me just how much things have changed. Or, more likely, just how much things are done different in Finland. The fact that it was a private hospital may have helped too, but this is what happened.

I laid down in the chair, they injected me with local anaesthetic, they covered up my face (covering my eyes) and then proceeded with their mutilation. To be honest, in my numbness, I was surprised that it was all over when it was. Phew!
When the dentist stitched me, he handed me the bill; a whopping €384. A very unexpected thing was that he gave me his mobile phone number in case I had problems. For a moment, I thought he was hitting on me, but how could he possibly have been 'in the mood' after seeing my teeth covered in blood? Apparently, the giving of a mobile number is the way it's done here. Phew!
In hindsight, I was wondering: if I refuse the mobile phone number service, can I get a discount?!