Sunday, July 09, 2006

NORMAL LIFE: Eurovision Review

I can't believe it's been nearly six weeks already since the Eurovision Song Contest was held in Athens. The sad bastard that I am, I only bought the audio CD of the contest during my last visit to the UK, didn't I? Before I continue, you can read my post-contest review here, if you're interested!

I have spent many evenings down the outdoor pool and have swam many kilometres too. Usually, a lay in the sun for a while beforehand, listening to my one and only Eurovision CD. So, what do I think of it?

Well, my two favourite countries were very odd choices indeed, Romania and Slovenia. With Tornero, Romanian Mihai Traistariu delivers the usual camped up disco beat associated with Eurovision. Mixing English with his native Romanian (I think, although the lyrics look and it sounds more like Spanish), he's got a voice that gets you moving and, when reaching the climax of the song, he's able to hold his head up high.

Slovenia, on the other hand, delivered very ABBA-esque lyrics, a song reminiscent of a musical. Mr. Nobody, sung by Anžej Dežan, starts as a slow ballad before moving onto a kind of musical yearning before changing key yet again to deliver a uproaring chorus reminiscent of ABBA.

Quite close behind come Sweden and Malta. Sweden was actually the best song, but it wasn't original; year upon year, Sweden insists on sending another leggy disco bunny to compete in the contest and this year was no except for Carola, all lips-aquiver, belted out her hit, Invincible. A great song without a doubt, but not original. Malta's entry was very similar with Fabrizio Faniello performing I Do. The beat makes up for the oh-so-gay lyrics which, I think, reek of desperation.

On the whole, this years contest was great and this disco bunny (chez moi) looks forward to welcoming the delegations to Helsinkin next year! Yeah, baby!