Tuesday, August 20, 2002

FLASHBACK #19: What Comes Out Of The Water!

Shortly before or after our trip to Europe in Summer 2002, Bree and I visited his family's Summer Cottage near Lahti; I was a little bit reluctant to go there after my whiffy experience during MidSummer. When we got there, however, I met Bree's mother for the first time. As she speaks no English, Bree was on hand to translate.

The Summer Cottage is nearly 40 years old and in perfect condition, surrounded by dense forest and well maintained lawns and flowers. The cottage is reachable via a 5km dirt track so it really does feel that you miles away from anything. Sitting on Lake Kirkojävi, the cottage is barely visible to outsiders as trees line the lake edge.

Shortly after meeting Bree's Mother, she told us that his Father was in the lake so we headed down to the deck to say hello. An old balding man was swimming in the lake, approaching the deck where were standing. Nothing could have prepared me for when he got out of the lake totally stark naked. He shooked my hand enthusiastically, also unable to speak English. My boyfriend's father, nearly 70 years old, was shaking my hand and he was naked! I hid my embarrassment, but as his father return to the cottage to resume his sauna, I raised my eyebrows at Bree.

Having lived abroad in the past, Bree knew exaclty where I was coming from. I had just witnessed something you would never see in Britain. I mean, you just don't expect to shake hands with a naked pensioner, do you?! It got me thinking, though. Why are Brits so sensitive about nakedness?

Later that day, Bree and I had a sauna followed by a dip in the ice cold lake. And, yes, we were naked. After all, when in Rome....