Saturday, June 15, 2002

FLASHBACK #16: Parents Visit Finland

Sometime in June 2002, my parents visited Finland. I collected them from Helsinki late in the afternoon and we checked into the Scandic Hotel Marski in the centre of Helsinki. It was a very difficult time for me personally. I wasn't yet ready to introduce Bree to my parents, even as a friend, fearing that my parents would suspect and realise that we were gay and together. Bree and I agreed that this visit would be for my parents and I to bond.

As luck would have it, the hotel room we shared (I reserved a family room) overlooked Lönröötinkatu and, on the other side of the street, was the bar where I had met Bree just six weeks earlier! Drawing the curtains, I told my parents that I had organised an evening meal at Lappi, a famous Finnish restaurant. To cut a long story short, none of were fans of reindeer nor herring no matter how it prepared! After a couple of post dinner drinks, we returned to the hotel.

The next morning, after a lovely breakfast at the hotel, I suggested that we go on a boat trip along the coast, taking in the new developed area of Herttoniemi. It was a perfect day to go to the sea, sunny AND warm. Let's face it, this was Finland and it was the earlier part of the Summer as far the nordic countries were concerned.

We ambled along Esplandi and reserved places on the boat. In the meantime, we looked around the stools on the market square. My parents were impressed by the quality of the good and crafts on sale and were equally impressed by the colourful and healthy looking selection of fresh produce.

We boarded the boat and spent the next three hours at sea, first heading towards the east of Helsinki, taking in Ruoholahti then heading back to the west, taking in Suomenlinna and, beyond that, to Hertoniemi. It was a wonderful day, very relaxing as we drank cool drinks on the upper deck, soaking up the sunshine. My mother did her usual maritimnal wave aimed at getting the attention of those at sea!

After we returned to the City, we checked out of the hotel, retrieved the car from the hotel's underground parking and headed towards Tampere. The drive took nearly two years and once we got there, it must have been about 6pm. They were pleased with my home. I introduced them to my neighbour, who they liked immediately. I think it was reassuring for them to meet a friend of mine and it was a big plus when they genuinely liked her too!

Tired from the days activities, I suggested we enjoy a nice takeaway on the balcony. I drove into town, returning with the not-so-spicy Finnish version of chinese and we toasted with our mutual favourite drink of Bacardi and Coke. Yummy!

The next day, I took my parents to Näsinneula, the highest observation deck in the nordic countries at 124 metres, to enjoy the views of Tampere. Afterwards, we visited my favourite place in Tampere, Pyynikki. In the winter, the lake near Pyynikki had been frozen, but now the beach could be seen. We posed for pictures, before heading to my apartment to rest before going out for dinner. back into the centre to go for dinner. It was then that the heavens opened and rain would fall non stop for the remainder of my parent's visit.

We went for dinner to Armadillo, a tex-mex restaurant near Koskikeskus, one of the town's main shopping centres. It was lovely. We spent quite a while there and were tired out from the days activities so we headed back to the apartment and had a nice drink there. The rain continued to fall all night long, keeping my parents awake most of the time as the rain beat down on the metal roof of the balcony. Oh, dear!

After breakfast the next morning, it was time for my parents to get the flight from Tampere. They would fly to Helsinki and catch their flight to London from there. They grinned when they saw how small Tampere Airport was, the smallest they had ever seen! When their flight was called, we hugged goodbye and parted. I waited while they boarded the nearby commuter craft and, as their aircraft pulled away, I made my way to the exit of the airport to watch their plane take off. It was then that the rain finally stopped which I thought was just downright typical, eh?

My parents had finally left and I was straight on the phone to Bree, who I hadn't spoken for nearly four days. God, how I had missed him!