Monday, August 04, 2008

NORMAL LIFE: No Going Back

It is now official: I am leaving the Firm! My written resignation was short and sweet, totalling a mere fifty words. About an hour after sending my resignation by email to my boss (he works in the US, you see), his deputy - based in Helsinki - responded, asking me to fill in the most ridiculous form to finalise my resignation, further evidence of the firm's obsession with processes.

After providing my basic details, it was apparently imperative that I indicate why I was leaving with an emphasis that I could only select one of the twelve options; it was unfortunate that eight of the options applied so I didn't respond to the question. I mean, how many people leave a firm for one single reason?

I took the form back to the deputy, as requested, and he pointed out that I hadn't indicated the reason why I was leaving so I told him that I was leaving because of the money, the lack of developement, the crappy benefits etc, but reminded him that I was only allow to choose one option. He agreed that the form was stupid - perhaps there should have been an option such as 'processes made by stupid management'? I would have indicated that there and then.

Rounding up our brief meeting, the deputy then suggested that perhaps I shouldn't attend any future meetings. It was almost as if he was trying to be spiteful yet, rather kindly, I humbly concurred, especially as the deputy thought it was in the Firm's best interests. He never was smart, even at the best of times.

By god, I hate this place, but now I can truly look forward. Like my very own Mum said: Life is not a rehearsal, this is it!