Monday, April 28, 2008

NORMAL LIFE: The Schizophrenic Disco

I am starting to 'hear' things, things that other people don't hear. For a minute, it sounds like a sinister scene from a Dean Koontz supernatural thriller, but then I realise it's just me getting some direct input!

By direct input, I am referring to my iPod, to which is attached a special cable which clips onto the behind-the-ear component of my cochlear impant. The end result is an in-your-head disco, to the exclusion of all other noise.

A risky scenario in some places (especially where there might be traffic, for example), but it's fantastic for shutting out screaming babies and other unwanted noise. And when I have had a few drinks, there surely is nothing better than what I call my very own schizophrenic disco! Some people have to wait until they get into bars and clubs before letting the music take control while, in the queue, I have already started!