Monday, July 16, 2007

NORMAL LIFE: 'Täti-ness' (with Agatha Christie & The Warm Fire)

What a lovely weekend I just had, relaxing at the summer cottage of Bree's parents; they were away for the weekend so we had the place to ourselves! Lovely!

The weather was downright awful, but a perfect accompaniment to the reading of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. It's the first time I have read one of the Queen of Mystery's books, and I somehow felt like I was there with the cast of characters at Soldier Island, the fictional location of the book.

The pages quickly turned, deeply engrossed in the unfolding mystery, while the weather outside was a never-ending grey with intermittent showers. At one point, the place felt chilly and Bree struck up a fire at the fireplace. Meanwhile, I put on some socks, pulled on a rugby shirt and snuggled up on the sofa.

I recalled a recent discussion with a dearest friend, Miss Knight. Over a bottle of Californian Rose, Miss Knight explained the concept of the Finnish Täti. While the word täti in isoliation means 'aunt', she explained it's other meaning. Being a täti is like when someone over thirty points out the things that young people do these days, and how, for example, you start to buy shoes because they are comfortable and cheap rather than trendy and stylish.

As I got more and more engrossed in my book, I realised that at the age of 30 I have become a male version of the Finnish täti! My skin sizzled near the warmth of the fire and I thought to myself this is heaven!