Saturday, June 16, 2007

NORMAL LIFE: I Know That Guy!

It all started a few weeks ago when, in the bar, this guy made it obvious that he was looking my way. Settled in a relationship of nearly six years, I shied away from making any contact. The handsome guy also took the same approach so contact of even the most minute kind was avoided.

As the weekend in question drew to an end and a new working week began, I noticed the guy in my firm's canteen at lunchtime. Our eyes met across the mass of hundreds of eaters; again, and this time for obvious reasons, I had to avoid contact.

In the meantime, I had started working on a challenging project which bought me into regular online contact with a colleague in the US. I was relying heavily on him to help me drive this project to fruition and one of my closest female colleagues in Helsinki met up with him in person recently.

Upon her return to the Helsinki last week, she showed me a photo of the team she had taken during her visit; slowly, having zoomed into the picture on her PC, she scanned from left to right. Suddenly, a familiar looking guy came into view. It wasn't apparent at first, but when I asked my colleague if the guy had visited Helsinki before, she said he had been in Helsinki just two weeks earlier. Suddenly, I put it all together: the guy in the picture was the guy who had been checking me out in the bar AND the same person had been helping me with my project for the past two weeks. What a small world, I thought! Sometimes, I can't help but think why does this always happen to me?