Friday, June 08, 2007

NORMAL LIFE: The Challenge Of Baldy & Blondie

Listen to this! This is a classic! One of my female colleagues had receive a cool external hard drive from Iomega and couldn't get it to function. The computer doesn't detect that it's connected, she explained. No stranger to technical problems, I went over to her desk and, for nearly an hour, I was stumped.

Everything was connected, but still no detection. I went onto the Iomega website to see if there was a driver I could download to spur the PC into detecting the device. As I browsed the various pages, it was obvious that no solution was going to be found. The website encouraged visitors to go to pages X, Y and Z if the device isn't detect and then it tells you to go back to pages A, B and C for more information; you end up stuck in an endless cycle of helpless information.

I switched off the PC and switched it back on. Nothing. I decided to start from scratch; when I disconnected the cable plugging into the back of the Hard Drive, it was apparent that the cable has been inserted the wrong way up. How blonde was she? And what a bald bimbo I was, eh?! We both stared at eachother, feeling somewhat stupid. But we ended up blaming the manufacturer. I mean, it shouldn't even be possible to insert a cable the wrong way up, should it? Needless to say, it worked immediately when the positioning of the cable was rectified. What are we like, eh?!