Sunday, June 10, 2007

NORMAL LIFE: Am I A Party Pooper (Again)?

I recently wrote about how I boycotted this year's Summer Part (see here). Last Thursday, I boycotted our department party, and I did so with pride; the prospect of a round of mini-golf (the main part of the afternoon, which I did take part in) didn't fill me with joy. The rest of the programme consisted of a sauna (bear in mind that it was 26C that day) followed by a buffet.

What kind of employer organises mini-golf for a group of 40 adults, who have done nothing but work their butts of all year? And what kind of berk reverts back to the most ardent of Finnish traditions (the sauna) on a day when it's 26C?

I know that I am the only one who has an issue with this because what the Finns knew is that they were on a promise. A promise of free booze. For two or three days preceeding the event, colleagues asked: are you coming? Are you going to come to the bars after? It's going to be great, isn't it? For gods sake, get a life!