Friday, May 25, 2007

NORMAL LIFE: Am I A Party Pooper?

Today is the day of the firm's Summer Party and it's not even June yet! It's grey outside and it's still chilly when it blows. Regardless of the weather, I just can't be arsed to participate. And why? Well, Finns are happiest when they're drinking, but they are also at their rudist when they've downed a couple. In the past, insults galore have been thrown at me. 'Why don't you speak Finnish?' and 'Where's your empire now, eh?' are my favourites!

The truth is I only work with these people and, by going out with them on a Friday night, I can't help but ask: what's in it for me? I find it highly amusing that, when there's a company party or, more precisely, any event which involves even a smidge of alcohol, Finns go wild. This year, however, a record number of people have chosen not to participate. I suspect this is because they are fed up with the year-on-year prospect of having to babysit an intoxicated colleague. Not me! I remind myself that most of these excited people are parents who rarely get a chance to go out so my advice is simply that they should get out more!