Tuesday, September 19, 2006

NORMAL LIFE: Studying Finnish...Again!

With the sky getting darker earlier and earlier each evening, you can feel that Winter is returning to Finland once again. So it felt natural when, today, I sat in my first evening Finnish class of the winter term. I'm in Level 3 out of a possible five levels with the University of Helsinki and tonight's class was certainly an eye-opener.

In my recent study of Consumer Ethnocentrism in 21st Century Finland form my Masters Degree (which I submitted to my University last week), I claimed that there was yet to be evidence of Finnish society becoming multicultural. In my lesson tonight, I was godsmacked - there was a wealthy to do man from Africa, an Egyptian, several philipinos, a chinaman and a nun - from Poland - in a snow-white habit with blue ribbons very much like that worn by Mother Theresa.

As far as the Finnish lesson was concerned, our tutor is a well-spoken women in her late 50's with just one rule: No Speaking In English! Instead, we have to converse AT ALL TIMES in Finnish. We will be learning konditionaali, monikko, imperatiivi, passiivi and possessisuffiksi during this course. Already, I'm like, what?!

Labels: