Friday, September 08, 2006

NORMAL LIFE: Understanding Mrs. Hyde's Behaviour

Following on from my previous entry (see here), I got an insight into how Mrs Hyde's mind works. As usual, we all headed down to lunch and, due to unfortunately timed seating, I ended up sat opposite Mrs Hyde. Continuing to ignore me as she has done for a good few months now, I broke the ice by asking her how her summer holiday went. She said it was okay. I asked how the weather was, as she had taken her holiday in August, not the warmest month in Finland. She said it was okay, just nice to be out of the office. And she elaborated with something like I had to take my holiday in August because you had yours in July.

The way she said it caught my other colleague's attention and, without stopping, Mrs Hyde declared that I would be taking my holiday in August next year because I was the youngest. At this point, a third colleague intervened by claiming that kind of attitude was absurd. I jumped in, saying that I would gladly take my holiday in August as there was always less work to do in July and it would be nice to be out of the office when there is work?!! What is it about Finns and their obsession to have their holiday in July?! It's sooo pathetic.

Imagine, this woman has ignored me for a good four months just before I was given the right to go on holiday in July. She felt that, because I was the youngest, I should have had that least favourable holiday time. How backward is that, eh? But I think it goes deeper than this. She's perpetually unhappy, as has been observed - and discussed - by various members of staff and she never stays for the duration of a meeting, always making an excuse to leave early.

She's either lacking in self esteem, perhaps she has bitten off more than she can chew with her job or she is having problems at home, or she's unhappy with her job hence the wish to be excused early from meetings. If anything, I feel sorry for the girl for her every movement is being analysed by a staff that just can't seem to work her out. But what can you do? How can you motivate people who, quite clearly, can't even engage in a proper conversation without biting your head off let alone take advice?