Sunday, March 05, 2006

NORMAL LIFE: Jobseeker's Amusement

Looking for a job in Finland has had it's highs and lows. I have sent several hundred applications, but have only received a handful of responses that either:

a) confirm receipt of my application, only to never hear from them again;
b) inform me of the need for fluent Finnish in their organisation;
c) make reference to my lack of education; or
d) ask me questions that are already answered in my 'CV package'.

My CV package contains a covering letter, a two page UK-style CV with lot's of detail and a one page CV more in line with the Finnish style. My strategy is two-fold: I send 'open applications' to companies by email, post or direct input into their online systems and I send 'specific applications' in response to advertised positions.

Last week, I received this reply which had me in fits of laughter. Read on:

'thanks for your cv from last week.

we are looking for person who is living
in sweden as a marketing manager.

by the otherhand he should speak fluent
swedish ( sorry my bad english ) as a native language.

also we are looking for person who has experience
about itc business in sweden at least 5 years.

if you still believe you are right person, you have to convinst
me somehow.

best rgds
'

I should explain. First off, the sender acknowledges receiving my CV. After checking my records, I realise that I had sent an 'open application' to this company's Human Resources department. If he had read my CV, he would know that:

a) I didn't love in Sweden;
b) that I have never been a Marketing Manager;
c) that there's no way that Swedish could be my native language as nothing in my CV package indicates I am of Swedish origin or descent;
d) I have never worked in ITC business.

I love the last line of his email when he says I have to 'convinst' him somehow as to my suitability for the job! The most shocking thing from this is that he signs himself off as Manager. Who has taught him to leave all the capital letters out of his communication? As a Marketer, he should know better than to tamper with the recruitment process without even bothering to read the application or CV. First rule of marketing: know your audience!

It's no all bad though. The day after being told that my contract in Malmi will not be extended beyond March 15th, I was invited to an interview for a really good company. The interview is next week so fingers crossed or, as they do in Finland, thumbs up!

Labels: