Saturday, February 11, 2006

NORMAL LIFE: Music As Memory

I was listening to a CD by Michael Ball (sad, I know, but he's gorgeous!) and there was this track, a live recording of a Medley featuring the songs 'The Way We Were' and 'The Rose'. Before he launched into yet another powerful performance, he gave a short speech, telling how 'life has a kind of soundtrack running through it, every major event having a piece of music associated with it. And when I hear the music,' he says 'it brings back the memories, brighter and clearer.'

I know exactly what he means! Sensitivity is a characteric very few people possess, or portray, these days. Even during the time when when my hearing was really bad (between the ages of 15 and 23), I took to feeling the speakers of my stereo system, determined not to lose contact with the beauty of the music. I would close my eyes and 'feel' the music. I recall how my old boss used to say that 'people who don't like music can't possibly have souls'. Knowing how much music can 'move' me, I guess there's some truth in that.

I have also been listening to Westlife's new album, 'Face to Face'. In my defence, I have never listened to any of their music before now and it was on sale! Besides, it had a duet with Diana Ross, singing her wonderful song 'When You Tell Me That You Love Me'. When Mark (apparently, he is gay) kicks off the second verse, oh-my-god! It puts a chill down my spine. Likewise, when Shane (the other dark haired guy in the group) leads in 'You Raise Me Up', I realised what I had been missing! Oooohhh!

Just as things were going so well on the music front, I had been given Rick Astley's comback album 'Portrait' as a Christmas present. It must have been somebody else's unwanted Christmas present because it is complete and utter shite! Don't buy it. You can have my copy. Why am I being so hard on him? Every song sounds the same and, to get the record contract in the first place, I'm convinced he must have drugged up everyone around the negotiation table.