Wednesday, June 11, 2008

NORMAL LIFE: Generic medicine, anyone?

In true back-from-holiday style, I have picked up some kind of bug, this time in the form of a throat/ear infection. In fact, the symptoms started well before I left Finland more than a week ago, but I just hoped it would go away.

Suffering quietly for more than a week and having just returned to Helsinki, I visited the doctors this morning. Due to the long-term nature of the infection, the doctor ordered blood and urine tests as well as an x-ray of my nasal passages, the results of which proved inconclusive.

Left with no guide as to my actual condition, the doctor prescribed ear drops and antibiotics. Imagine my surprise when the pharmacist, processing my prescription, asked if I would like to buy a cheaper, generic version of the medicine that had been prescribed. I was like, what?! Trusting the doctor's recommendation, I matter-of-factedly stated that I would simply like what my doctor has prescribed. Anyone up for generic medicine? Does this strike you as weird?!