Thursday, February 07, 2008

NORMAL LIFE: Detox (Review of First Week)

One week on, and what do I think of the Detox program? Well, the worst part is the one-minute cold shower each morning, but I think the daily helping of carrot - or beetroot - juice is even worse than the cold shower. Other than that, it has simply been a case of allowing extra time to prepare foods that I am not used to making.

I had one disaster in the kitchen where I attempted to replicate the recipe for hummus, as suggested in the Detox program. I followed the instructions to the letter, mixed the tahini (don’t ask what that is!), the chick peas, the lemon juice and the garlic. Since I an not allowed to eat bread (sob!), I used rice cakes. Bloody awful, it was, even the hummus on it’s own. I smelled of garlic for days!!!!

Talking about garlic, every day I need to take supplements in the form of tablets: I swallow a multivitamin (naturally!), a cranberry tablet (for the kidneys), a kelp tablet and a garlic tablet (for the liver). I was in the gym the other day, sweating away, and I rubbed some sweat from my forehead with my sports towel and, as I pulled the towel away from me, I got a whiff of garlic. It was then that I realized that the stuff is leaching out of me. Yuck!

Also, in the gym, I’m not able to lift as much weight, which doesn’t altogether surprised me; I am getting no meat, no pasta, no white rice, all the things that give us that boost to get that great workout. I am, however, doing a lot of cardio exercise and lifting what I can so it will be interesting to see what my my weight is this weekend. While the aim isn’t to lose weight, I feel much slimmer and I just can’t believe that I have stuck at this program for a week – just another three weeks to go!

Before I started this program, I used to suffer from terribly, sleepless nights. Now, I am sleeping like a baby, further evidence that the stimulants that we consume every day, such as sugar, caffeine and alcohol (not everyday!) really do affect our energy levels. When I get back to ‘normal’ living, I suspect I am going to be one hell of a hyperactive individual!