Tuesday, October 30, 2007

NORMAL LIFE: Making Life Easier

I came to a sudden admission this time last week that I have been expecting too much of myself. So, in response, I decided to do things that would immediately make my life a little bit easier.

Firstly, I decided to ditch my new hearing device. I favoured the older version and so I reverted back to using the older, more antiquated looking device. It seems that the manufacturer of the new device hadn't created something as bloody marvellous as they claimed.

By ditching the new device and reuniting with my trusty, older device, I managed to get my more-clearer hearing back, I started to enjoy music again and my dependence on lipreading suddenly reduced once more. Phew!

On another hearing-related level, I decided to quit my Finnish lessons so that I could focus on my photography course. Partly influenced by my hearing difficulties, it was never going to be a contest if I were forced to choose between Finnish lessons and photography, one of my lifelong hobbies.

I feel bad about not adopting the new hearing device, and I also feel bad about postponing my Finnish lessons, but ultimately I regained my older, better hearing and I'm well on my way to becoming a more proficient photographer. There are always ways to make life easier for yourself.