Wednesday, April 18, 2007

NORMAL LIFE: Confrontation = Bad Guy

I think Brits are very open people - we're not as brash as the Americans nor are we as conservative as the French. We're not perfect, but one characteristic I regard to be rather virtuous is our ability - or rather, willingness - to open hot issues. Let me give you an example:

In my current job, we have a process whereby products can be put on hold for reasons such as quality or safety. The bizarre thing is that literally anybody is able to put products on hold with the most minute amount of data. Such holds impact on revenue, but also on customer satisfaction since those products will no longer be shipped.

Such an issue has arisen with nine of my products, all of which have been put on hold with minimal information combined with alot of speculation. I discussed this in my weekly team meeting to see if they have experienced similar situations during the Hold process. Apparently, they have and they simply said 'that's the system'. Why is it, I asked myself, that Finns simply accept everything? Why won't someone turn round and say: Hey, this process can't continue, it's damaging to our business?

Because I opened the issue, admittedly with a bit of force, I'm the bad guy. Everyone has gone to lunch. Without me. How pathetic!

Labels: