Friday, April 06, 2007

NORMAL LIFE: Apparently, I'm Self Centred!

Apparently, because I have no desire to get married, no desire to have children and therefore have probably more disposable income than most people my age, I am 'selfish and self-centred'; this was one colleague's assessment.

If this is true, isn't it self centred of everyone else that, when a new baby arrives or if someone get married, that self centred single people like myself are left footing the bill laden with gifts? Mother's day, Father's Day, Wedding Day, the days of new arrivals.

I think there should be a day for celebrating individuality, in recognition of those people who are brave enough to go it alone; I know several people who might even be deemed too smart to be married. Isn't it wrong, after all, that most people are pressured into marriage, or at least cohabit, for financial reasons?

I am in a relationship (and could be considered unofficially married after five years together next week!), but as far as society is concerned, I am unattached. Due to the private nature of my relationship among folks at large, why should I keep giving when I haved actually been in a relationship longer than most of them?!