Friday, March 09, 2007

NORMAL LIFE: Bored, Bald, Bold.

I never noticed it before. Perhaps my love for Bree has rendered him faultless, but over breakfast a couple of days ago, I had to laugh at how he managed to make three distinct words sound very similar.

He was talking about a bald guy at work who was getting on his nerves because he was so bold. He went on further to say that he was starting to get bored with his work. It was only after hearing the last of the three b-words words that I realised his pronunciation needed a bit of work.

Over the next ten minutes or so, we were laughing at how difficult it was for a Finnish tongue to say these words distinctly. And then it made me realise that this was something that affected all languages. For example, I have same problems in Finnish with pusu (kiss) , pösö (slang for Peugeot cars) and pysy (stay). Let it go, I told myself, he's still perfect even if can't say those three words properly!

Labels: