Saturday, January 28, 2006

NORMAL LIFE: Australia, my only regret

My friend will have been in Australia for a week by now. He moved there after being offered a four year contract by PriceWaterhouseCoopers. How I envy him, as I look out the window and all I can see are slushy puddles of melted snow. I checked online and Sydney is enjoying sunny temperatures of 30°C. Here, it is -5°C.


When I returned to the UK last Autumn, going to Australia for a year was one of my options. I even applied for a one year Working-Holiday Visa. The day I received confirmation of my visa being granted, however, I decided that I wanted to give things in Finland a go; I had a past there that I felt was worth preserving.

Leaving Finland last Autumn was a major regret of mine and I have put that right by moving back. The price for returning was not going to Australia whilst I had the opportunity. I have wanted to go to Australia since I was 19, but somehow I never plucked up the courage to travel that far alone.

I look forward to the day when I see my friend again. I'm sure he will have lots to tell me about Australia.