Wednesday, January 04, 2006

ANNOUNCEMENT: My good news!

I won't beat about the bush as I have good news. After just 19 days back in Finland, I received news today that I will start a two month contract with a pharmaceutical company in Helsinki next Monday. With nearly 10% of Finland's working population unemployed, the speed at which this assignment came to me was quite a surprise. A pleasant one, though!

As one of my best friends explained: "the social security system is too generous in Finland so why would someone take on just a two month assignmnet?" Apparently, according to the BBC, Matti Vanhanen - who became Finland's Prime Minister in June 2003 - has made 'tackling unemployment one of his priorities'. Doing a wonderful job, just like Tony Blair, I see! Anyway, I'll get off my political soapbox.

So, there's money coming in and, more importantly, I can concentrate on maintaining my skills. I will miss the daytime naps and the spare time for studying, but working is where the 'real world' is. Turning into a 32 year old Finnish 'student' just wouldn't be my style!