Sunday, October 31, 2004

FLASHBACK #59: My First Jackolantern

I had never made one before. But when I saw a pumpkin in the supermarket with a guide on how to cut it into a Jackolantern, I had to give it a try!

Five minutes after starting, I paused in realisation of what a messy exercise it was turning out to be. I spooned out what felt like tons of pumpkin flesh and took every ounce of care to card out the eyes, nose and mouth.

When I was done, Bree placed a candle inside and as the wick accepted the match, the single flame created the most awesome glow. It was a masterpiece, my Halloween masterpiece.

I was so proud of my effort that, since we had been invited to a friends house for a Halloween get-together, the pumpkin would be my contribution to the party! Everyone was in awe and, as the creator, I basked in the attention. I'm not an attention-seeker, you know!