Tuesday, July 15, 2003

FLASHBACK #43: Sarkanniemi With Blue

I made a conscious effort to spend some quality time with my friends before it would be time to leave Tampere. The time to spend the day with Blue came. It was a warm summers day and we decided to go to Sarkanniemi, Tampere's very own theme park.

I drove to Blue's house near Pispala and out she came in her red dress (she looks fantastic in red) and her cute pink Marimmekko bag. The short drive to the theeme park only took ten minutes or so and, in the queue, we marvelled at the new ride located next to Nasineulla, Tampere's impressive tower.

In the park, we walked around, visiting the farm area before we hit the rides. For a small town like Tampere, this theme park is impressive and people drive several hundred kilometres to come here for the day.

My favourite ride is the Tornado, a 'hanging' rollercoaster. Surprisingly for a Saturday, the queues for the rides were no longer than ten minutes and we went on most of the rides.

When we decided to take a break, we grabbed an ice cream and chatted on one of the benches. During out conversation, I found out that it was Blue's birthday only recently and she hadn't said anything so I couldn't have that; we threw away our ice-creams and I treated her to lunch in one of the many restaurants. Silly sod, eh?!

After the very filling lunch, we went up Nasineulla and viewed the City from above. Once again, a sensation overcame me on just how much I would miss this place when I left. The good thing was I was only going to Helsinki and there would be nothing to stop me visiting regularly.


When we went back down to base, we visited the small aquarium before going on the ride that kind of encapsulates the whole days experience. You see, Blue is so girly. She dresses in a girly way, behaves like a girl and giggles like a girl. But it is this girliness that differentiates her from most of the Finnish women I have met.

While most women are too busy trying to find careers and competing against the men in their own teams (sad, but true), Blue is happy to be the lady she really is. And it shows! On the ride (one of those swing rides where, as the ride starts to turn, the seat you are sitting on swings further out), Blue giggled with delight.

We left the park in the late afternoon, but rather than call it a day (because we had enjoyed eachothers company so much!), we continued onto my local food store where we bought some chips (or 'crisps' I should say in English-English!) and cider. From there, we made our way to the Arboretum where we swam in the lake. By now, the day had turned humid and, after our swim, we drank our ciders on my balcony.

When Blue left about 7pm, a pang of loneliness hit me. You see, I had really enjoyed the day and you know how it is once you've had a couple of drinks and then suddenly you're on your own and you want the fun to continue.

Anyway, it had been an active day on one of the last hot summer days in 2003. I will always value that day I spent at Sarkanniemi with Blue.