Tuesday, February 21, 2006

NORMAL LIFE: Finland's Public Transport & Language

The daily commute to Malmi using Helsinki's antiquated commuter trains is always a pleasant experience. In fact, I am much happier with the fact that I now have to travel a bit to get to work. All in all, it only takes about 30-40 minutes to get to work, firstly with a short tram journey to the central railway station followed by a fifteen minute train ride; it kind of breaks up the day to see the snow white scenery on the way to work and to observe the other passengers.

Amazingly, it costs only €42 (£28) per month to use all of Helsinki's public transport which includes buses, the metro, trams and trains. What a bargain! And the various ways of getting around actually work on time! Even when it was -23 not so long ago, all of the trains left pretty much on time and the ones that didn't sparked a major outrage in the papers the very next day. You see, bad transport systems are not tolerated here.

After a hard day at work, there's nothing like reading the names of the stations to take your mind off the days tasks. Places with names such as Pukinmäki/Bocksbacka, Oulunkylä/Åggelby, Käpylä/Kotby and Pasila/Böle. The second name of each of these places is the Swedish word for those towns. 6-7% of Finland is Swedish-speaking, you see, so as a bilingual country it is law that place names should be displayed in both Finnish and Swedish.

By the way, there's no Finnish lessons this week, but I spent most of last night practising Verb Types 1, 3 and 4 and applying what is known as 'Astevaihtelu' (Consonant Gradation) to them! Don't ask! We don't have 'verb types' and 'consonant gradation' in English and it's a bitch to master. Still, I am determined to better my previous grade on this course - I have done exactly the same course before, but because I had stopped studying for a while, I thought it would be a good idea to refresh myself. And I am certainly doing that! I so badly want to better my grade of 68.5 points out of 118 (58%). 75% or more is my target!

Labels: