Tuesday, March 28, 2000

BORNEO (5/14): Into Kota Kinabalu

Too soon, the morning came. I had programmed my pager to wake us up at 09:00. I felt rested and the mood from the day before didn't plague me anymore. Maybe the jetlag was just building up and, in an overworked frame of mind, I just couldn't relax enough to sleep. The breakfast was amazing. It was a buffet and I feasted on an American breakfast, fruit juices, toast and jam and then cake and coffee for good measure. I've always had a good appetite. In this heat, I kidded myself it would be worked off in no time!

After breakfast, I went for a swim in the Hotel's swimming pool. Bliss! Other members of the group had gathered and it got a bit competitive so a few races were organised. After the bout of swimming, we were due to be transferred to the Rose Cabin at the base of Mount Kinabalu. There, we would stay for one night before commencing our climb tomorrow.

First, however, there was a brief tour of Kota Kinabalu. As soon as we left the comfort of our air conditioned building, the heat was stifling. Thank god the coach was air-con too. The town, recently granted city status by Kuala Lumpur, was less than a mile away and was surprisingly built-up. While you could probably fit the whole of the 'city' within the structure of Lakeside Shopping Centre, the shops are jam packed with produce and friendly faces. The charity has organised lunch first, then an hour free to our own devices.

The lunch didn't go down well. Soup was full of what looked like grass shavings. The main course consisted of rice, chicken, fish and battered squid. I said to someone "This tastes unusual," The eight or so people at the same table all looked up. Janet, from Greenwich, told me it was squid. Instantly, I cringed and begrudgingly swallowed!

After lunch, I suggested some of us head for the shopping centre where we might find supplies of water and postcards. Janet and Michelle, from Hampshire, agreed and off we went. As we walked down the main road in the direction of the shopping centre, the lure of air conditioned stores proved too powerful! We discriminated and only browsed through the stores that had air-conditioning. If it didn't have air-conditioning, we didn't enter.

Eventually, we came near the coast where ferry operators hurriedly quoted prices in a bid to secure our custom. Not impressed,.....