Friday, March 24, 2000

BORNEO (2/14): Getting Excited!

A week has passed since my hair was sheared off. More money has been pledged and I'm only a few pounds short of my target. Even though I didn't stand to lose 'much' hair anyway, the event was considered a success. Not only did it help me to raise £680, I have also acquired a hair style I am thinking of adopting. Those of you who know me personally will agree that there's no point in my pretending to have hair! More people than I can remember have said the cut suits me and the local press covered the event well.

It's just one more day to the big day; forty-eight hours from now, I will have touched down in the land of the Orangutan, the legendary "wild man of Borneo". Research tells me that Borneo has one of the most diverse 'ecosystems' in the world; many species of monkey, plant and aquatic life are unique to what is the worlds third largest Island. I am looking forward to sampling the culture of Borneo, of witnessing their customs and hoping to learn about their way of life. It's just as well that I like flying really; some of the other people taking part might not be prepared for the 15 hour journey. Not being able to enjoy in-flight entertainment because of my deafness, I will have to find other ways to keep myself occupied. Maybe I can charm a stewardess, but since drinks are free on Malaysian Airline flights, why bother?!!

In the past, while travelling abroad with family, it's been nice to meet other people to pass the time. I'll never forget that time I flew alone to join my parents for the second week of their holiday on the island of Menorca. I think it was September or October 1996. For the duration of the 3½ hour flight, this old dear in her mid-seventies didn't - or wouldn't - shut up! It was only when she started talking about Elvis, who had died before I was even born, that I sought the company of an air hostess. What a relief to have some younger, less trivial conversation. It made me feel human again! The next time I write in this book, I will probably be in Borneo. I'm sure, by then, things will get really interesting.