Thursday, May 15, 2008

NORMAL LIFE: When Queens Use Queens English

During lunch the other day, while my colleagues and I were discussing how challenging it was to get marketing material approved using the firm's current processes, I got some 'indirect feedback' regarding my English.

Intended as criticism, I heard from a Finnish colleague that one of our American colleagues thought I should refrain from using what she described as Queen's English! I was stunned by the stupidity of the feedback, before gushing with pride.

Throughout the nearly seven years I have been living abroad, I have stuggled to retain my English by reading countless publications and magazines. It is, after all, the only way to maintain one's grammer and vocabulary.

If I could meet with the yank face-to-face, I would ask her, if she had a choice, would she use Queen's English or Bush's English?! In fact, this kind of feedback bought back memories from my previous employers who, behind my back, berated my grammar skills! What do theyknow?
If anything, I am tempted to study English at a higher level. Rest assured that this Queen (being gay, I mean) will continue to speak the kind of English the world understands and not an ignorant nation's dialect!